Welcome to Carta!
Carta SRD is built for making games about exploration. The idea is that players lay cards out in a grid , and then turn them over one at a time, exploring prompts and mechanics as they do. The game is a sort of boardgame / storygame hybrid, where players explore journaling prompts by physically moving their marker from card to card and looking up the results. It can have a definite goal, making it more boardgame-like, or it can be more nebulous and story-focused.
Carta was inspired by:
- The Wretched and Alone SRD by Matt Sanders & Chris Bissette
- The Estate of Baron Archambaud, an Ingrate, by Galazor
- Board games like Zombies! and Betrayal at House on the Hill
This SRD was built for stories about solitary discovery. GMless Multiplayer rules can definitely be added, but the default ruleset is a singleplayer one. You might want to tell stories about:
- Exploring a classic-style dungeon in search of treasure
- Wandering around a city and seeing the sights
- Being pursued through a haunted mansion
- Searching an alien planet for survivors
- Just playing Monster Hunter, I guess. That's what I did.
Hey, colonialism is bad. It has devastating effects on entire civilizations and perpetuates generations and generations of cruelty and injustice. It's one thing to tell stories about a person exploring an area, but don't use “Explore” in the sense of “Being The First European”.
Be respectful of inhabited places and established traditions.